English English Polski Polski
Wydziałowa Stacja Doświadczalna
w Skierniewicach
History long.

Efforts by Prof. Józef Mikułowski-Pomorski to acquire land for experiments ended successfully, when he has occupied for 2 years the position of rector of SGGW-WULS in Warsaw. Under the Minister of Agriculture Ordinance of 28 May 1919, SGGW-WULS has received the manor in Skierniewice with land (269 ha), park and palace, for experimental purposes. This land until 18th century was owned by Gniezno`s archbishops and the seat of them was the palace in Skierniewice (currently known as the Primate`s Palace) with the manor and buildings. Characteristic dates for Skierniewice in 19th century were years: 1845, in which the first `Warsaw-Vienna` railway has been run in Poland and 1885, in which three invaders of Poland (Alexander III — tsar of Russia, Franz Jozef I — emperor of Austro-Hungarian Empire and Wilhelm I — emperor of Germany) had met in the Primate`s Palace. After the liberation of Poland in 1919, the whole manor in Skierniewice with the park and palace (currently the seat of the Institute of Horticultural Plants) was nationalized and then given for SGGW-WULS. At that time, Skierniewice were important centre of scientific research in the field of agricultural and horticultural production.

The Experimental Field was established on about 36 ha of arable land of the manor owned by SGGW-WULS. It constitued independent organizational unit, which initially was associated with the chemical and agricultural workshop of the Agricultural Chemistry Section of SGGW-WULS in Warsaw. Until 1924, Prof. Witold Staniszkis was a scientific supervisor of the Field, while K. Wróblewski and then M. Komar were head managers. In 1924, the Experimental Field was incorporated into structures of the Land Cultivation and Fertilization Section, established at the Horticultural Faculty. Since the beginning, Prof. Marian Górski was the Section head manager and he appointed scientific supervisors of agricultural experiments as follows: Dr. Zygmunt Bronisław Golonka (1923–29) and Dr. Janina Krotowicz-Krzysztofowicz (1929–38).

During World War II all experiments, founded in 1922–1924, were continued under German supervision. Scientific supervisors of the experiments were Prof. Marian Górski and Dr. Mieczysław Koter, while Szczepan Maciejewski took responsibility for them from the organizational side. At the turn of 1940 and 1941, there was a special force division (sabotage) formed in Skierniewice by National Military Union (later known as the Polish Home Army, AK) to weapon-fighting with the occupying power. From the beginning, buildings of SGGW-WULS were the seat of the AK division, where weapon and ammunition were hidden. Part of this supply was found during renovation and enlargement of the Experimental Field in 2004. During occupation, few members of the division lived in the area of the Field, and two of them  — 2nd Lt. Wojciech Motyl (alias Puk) and Eng. Tadeusz Bańcerek (alias Wyrwa) were its workers.

From the end of the war until 2005 the Experimental Field was an organizational unit of the Department of Agricultural Chemistry at the Agricultural Faculty of SGGW-WULS. Due to this, superiors of the Experimental Fields were subsequent head managers of the Agricultural Chemistry Departments or Sections as follows: Prof. Marian Górski, Prof. Józef Goralski, Prof. Leszek Kuszelewski, Prof. Stanisław Moskal, Prof. Tadeusz Barszczak, Prof. Stanisław Mercik and Prof. Jan Łabętowicz. Subsequent head managers of Departments in the post-war period appointed Alfred Klawencki (until 1953), Jan Hryniuk (1953–1958), Stanisław Mercik (1958–1984) and Wojciech Stępień (from 1985) to supervisors of the experiments, which were conducted at the Field.

The 60s and 70s were a difficult time for the Experimental Field in Skierniewice. In the end of the 60s, the Institute of Horticultural Crops tried to take possession of the Field. Established at that time, special inter-ministerial commission (the Ministry of Science and Higher Education and the Ministry of Agriculture) has evaluated value of long-term field experiments and decided that only 7.5 ha, without penalizing the experiments, can be allocated to the Institute of Horticultural Crops. This decision was implemented in 1969, against the Resolution of the Council of Agricultural Faculty of SGGW-WULS. The other part of the Experimental Field was considered as invaluable and indivisible unity and therefore left for SGGW-WULS. In 1979, for the second time tried to take possession of the Experimental Field and donated it to the city Skierniewice. At that time, Skierniewice`s voivode asked Prof. Henryk Jesiorowski, Rector of SGGW-WULS, to donate over a half part of the Field to build a new Horticultural School Complex. The University authorities, in agreement with the Ministry of Higher Education, did not give any land of the Experimental Field to the School.  

Irrespective of this situation, there were some fires in Skierniewice in the years 1985–1986. In the Autumn of 1985, the first fire took place and a special drying plant for drying of tobacco or hay has burnt down, and one week later, in the second fire — a big stable with special boxes for collecting of grains from experimental plots. In the third fire, in the Summer of 1986, have burnt down a cowshed and a horse-stable. It is highly likely that the three fires were not accidental, but purposeful set on fire. However, the perpetrators of these incidents were never caught.